Say no to a severance tax
As part of his state budget proposal for the coming fiscal year, Governor Wolf is asking the General Assembly to approve a plan to impose a severance tax on natural gas production of 5 percents plus 4.7 cents per Mcf. Not only would this tax come at a time when the industry is reeling due to low commodity prices, but the governor also has threatened a moratorium on drilling if he does not get his way.
We are asking all PIOGA members – along with employees, royalty owners, local businesses and other industry supporters – to write their representatives and senators in opposition to the governor’s severance tax plan. Below are three letters that can be used in making our voices heard, as well as a link to a page where you can look up the names and contact information for your elected officials. Feel free to customize the letters to add information about how you, your company and your community would be impacted by a severance tax – particularly at this difficult time for the industry.
- Letter 1 – industry supporters
- Letter 2 – people working in the industry
- Letter 3 – general letter
- Look up contact information for your senator and representative
Or use this quick and easy option: Click here to identify your lawmakers and automatically generate an email to be sent to them.
Please take the time to become involved today!
Additional information and resources
- Governor Wolf’s proposed severance tax legislation
Natural Gas Pricing and Economics Must Drive Policymaking in Pennsylvania (PIOGA white paper)
PIOGA to fight Wolf’s moratorium threat against Pennsylvania’s natural gas industry (PIOGA website post 2/17/15)
- Attention PIOGA members: Recap of governor’s severance tax proposal (PIOGA website post 2/11/15)
- Wolf’s gas tax would reduce energy production, kill jobs, stifle economic growth (PIOGA website post 2/11/15)
- Gas industry groups united in opposition to severance tax (PIOGA website post 12/17/14)
- Talking about the negative impacts of a severance tax (PIOGA video)